24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services • Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (805) 212-1154

Call Today! (805) 212-1154
Call Today! (805) 212-1154
Ventura County LogoLogo
Call Today! (805) 212-1154
Call Today! (805) 212-1154
Ventura County Logo

Is Mildew as Dangerous as Mold?

Published by Allegra on October 29, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

Mildew on wallMold and mildew are both nasty, and you don’t want them in your house or offices. If you notice that your house is on the brink of a mildew or mold infestation, you should take the necessary measures as quickly as possible to regain a natural, more healthy environment. Mold and mildew can quickly become a problem and a danger to family members’ health, especially if you have children. It isn’t an easy task to decipher between the two since both Mildew and Mold are fungi. However, the two have differences.

The question this begets is that mold is dangerous; we know this. Black mold can cause respiratory issues in children and adults alike. But is mildew as dangerous as mold? Is it even dangerous at all? Read on as we tell you what mildew is and what you can do about it.

What Is Mildew?

Mildew is a type of fungus, and it’s often related to mold. Mold appears in colors of black, green, blue, and red, whereas mildew is largely white. Furthermore, mildew is also different from mold as it has a very distinctive smell, making it difficult to not notice for too long. Mildew requires certain factors to develop, and it cannot grow otherwise. It needs a source of nutrition, sufficient ambient moisture, and reasonable warmth.  If there are acidic conditions, then people Mildew is likely to thrive.

What’s the Difference Between Mildew and Mold?

They’re both fungi that thrive in moist environments. They also spread easily and live on various surfaces, which is why it’s tricky to get rid of them.  If you don’t attend to either of these infestations, it may result in specific structural and health problems for you. While they have a surprising number of similarities, the two pose different risks and respond to different treatments. 


Mildew generally grows in a flat pattern and appears fluffy.  You can identify it due to its white patchiness. It turns black or yellow over time.

Mold is usually fuzzy or slimy in appearance.  It is irregularly shaped and can have many different colors like gray, black, and green. 


Mildew generally affects plants and crops. If you inhale mildew spores, it can result in coughing, headache, sore throat, and respiratory problems. However, this is the extent of it.

Mold, on the other hand, can cause a variety of health problems. You can have allergic reactions, respiratory problems, heart problems, migraines, inflammation and pain in the joints, dizziness, depression, and extreme fatigue. Black mold also produces mycotoxins that can cause long-term health effects, especially in younger children and immuno-compromised people. 

Thus,  we can say that mildew isn’t as dangerous as mold. It doesn’t result in the variety and degree of problems in people. However, it is still harmful, and you should try your best to get rid of it as soon as possible.

How to Prevent Mildew 

The most efficient way to prevent mildew is by keeping all the area in your house dry. If you leak the kitchen faucet or any of your dry walls, get them fixed immediately. Get a humidity sensor and ensure that the humidity level in the house doesn’t go above that of 50%. If it goes above, buy yourself a dehumidifier to absorb the moisture. 

You should have your heat and cooling systems checked regularly, along with your vents and air ducts. These spaces are all necessary for keeping clean air in circulation in your house. Air circulation helps with problems relating to moisture.  You should fix leaks in any place there’s a water source, such as a bathroom or a kitchen. If you notice any weeds or plants that look like mildew on the walls or floor in your house, you should pull them out immediately.

How to Clean Mildew

Mildew is a surface fungus, so it shouldn’t pose too great a problem for you to clean.  You can treat it effectively with a scrubbing brush and a cleaner from your local store.  Ensure that you bring in fans if the area lacks proper ventilation, as the stench of the mildew will get to you.

 Furthermore, you should also wear a face mask so you can stop yourself from inhaling any mildew spores or the cleaning chemical you may be using. Wear rubber gloves so neither the mildew nor the chemical cleaner can splash on your hands. Scrub aggressively until you see the surface clearing up. You should also check the surrounding areas to see if the fungi have been removed. 

Final Thoughts

Mildew is harmful to your health. However,  it is not as dangerous as mold. Mildew can cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions even. Mold is more varied as it can cause headaches, migraines, and even cardiac issues. Black mold is very harmful. Mildew is only truly dangerous if you eat a plant with mildew on it. Otherwise, it will not affect your health as adversely as mold.

In any case, it’s best to get rid of it as soon as you see it forming. Cleaning mildew is also much easier than mold, so you likely won’t have to ask anyone for help.

For more information on mildew or mold and how to get rid of it, please visit our website www.911restorationventuracounty.com

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (805) 212-1154
680 Flinn Ave, Unit 35, Moorpark, CA 93021
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply